EA London Community Building Lessons Learnt - 2018

By DavidNash @ 2019-03-20T11:38 (+50)

Here is a list of some ideas that I came across in the last year that may be useful for other EA community builders

Milan_Griffes @ 2019-03-20T21:43 (+3)
I think this excerpt from the Kelsey Piper podcast is a good example

Could you link me to this podcast?

aarongertler @ 2019-03-21T02:04 (+5)

https://80000hours.org/podcast/episodes/kelsey-piper-important-advocacy-in-journalism/

aarongertler @ 2019-03-19T23:51 (+2)
When you are events focused, you are competing with many things - family, friends, hobbies, Netflix, cinema, etc. If your focus is more on helping people doing good, it’s no longer about having people turn up to an event, it’s about keeping people up to date with relevant info that is helpful for them. When there is a relevant opportunity for them to do something in person, they might be more inclined to do so.

I really like this point, and the related Kelsey Piper quote. EA, like any social movement, is likely to grow and succeed largely based on how helpful it is for its members. Having a "what can I do for you?" mindset has been really useful to me in my time running a couple of different EA groups (and working at CEA).

--

When you say that Meetup.com "gave a worse impression of effective altruism", do you mean that it actually seemed to have negative value, or just that it was worse than Facebook because it didn't give you an easy way to contact people soon after they'd joined? If the former, can you talk about any specific negative effects you noticed? (One of the groups I'm affiliated with is still using Meetup, so I'm quite curious about this.)

DavidNash @ 2019-03-20T11:22 (+4)

For Meetup, it seemed to have negative value in the way it is used by default.

I think people mainly join meetup because they are looking for new hobbies and/or friends rather than deciding they want to do good or have impact in their careers. This can be useful for increasing attendance but I think it's using the wrong digital tool for the goals most groups have.

Potentially with a closed meetup group with questions that have to be answered before joining it could work well, similar to Facebook. Although Meetup still has the issue of their users being a subset of Facebook that don't necessarily have a good overlap with the kind of people that EA can help the most.

Risto_Uuk @ 2019-03-19T18:44 (+1)
Realising that attendance and events are just part of a community, and potentially not the most important part

Agreed. Research and study groups, for example, seem to be a lot more useful than events. First and foremost, participants commit to longer term attendance in advance so you don't need to try to persuade them to participate every time. I dislike having to personally invite people to come to events. I assume that they don't care about EA enough if they don't come at a mere FB invitation.

Regarding attendance, we just recently organized a public AI safety event which was attended by roughly 80 people. When an ex community-builder heard that, he congratulated us on that as it sounded big success to him. Of course, it was nice to have that many people come to the event but compared to some more in-depth projects we had going on I didn't feel as accomplished.

That said, how do you get feedback from your community with respect to online-based content? Your newsletter, for example, could easily be much more valuable than events and even other in-person activities, but as far as I'm aware very few people actually communicate how much value they receive to authors and content creators. For instance, you probably didn't know this but I find useful content for EA Estonia's newsletter every month from EA London's newsletter.

DavidNash @ 2019-03-20T11:25 (+1)

Online content is generally the amount of people that open or click on an email (but baring in mind that long term, getting more clicks relies on your community trusting you to have content they want to click on rather than clickbait).

Occasionally people also send replies saying they value newsletters and when I ask people in person what they value, that sometimes gets mentioned.