EA Malaysia Report (August 2021 - January 2022)

By Yi-Yang, tzukitchan @ 2022-02-26T02:43 (+20)

Note: I’ll use “we” when I’m confident I can represent both Tzu and me, and I’ll use “I” when it’s mostly Yi-Yang’s opinion. All mistakes are Yi-Yang’s.

1. How did EA MY do?

Before we give our results, here are some helpful context:

Now to our results, My guess is that EA MY isn’t as successful when compared to other groups, even after controlling for many factors (e.g. GDP, population size, starting engagement levels, hours spent, etc). But we still had some pretty good counterfactual results in the past six months:

You can find out more about our counterfactual results with our cool Sankey diagram in the appendix.

2. What was EA MY’s plan?

Here’s a breakdown:

3. What could have been better?

4. What went well?

5. What are EA MY’s plans?

For the remainder of 2022, I think what we absolutely want to avoid is doing nothing when we have some momentum going on already. The difference in the number of people taking more significant actions between 2019/2020 and 2021 has been huge. 

However, Yi-Yang is hoping to step down soon and there aren’t any successors at this point. 

Current options we are thinking of (not in particular order):

Our plans are also highly dependent on how EA IF might want to fund EA MY too. 

Appendix

1. Predictions

2. Counterfactual results

Overall counterfactual results

Before

After

Cat -1

Cat -0.5

Cat 0

Cat 0.5

Cat 1

Cat 1.5

Cat 2

Cat 3

Cat 4

3. Absolute results

Overall absolute results

kirstenangeles @ 2022-02-26T03:35 (+6)

I like the diagram :) Best wishes for the remainder of 2022, and finding a successor! Is there any way others in EA not from EA MY can help you?

BrianTan @ 2022-02-26T10:43 (+4)

I like the Sankey diagram too - what did you use to make it Yi-Yang?

yiyang @ 2022-02-26T11:54 (+7)

This! https://flourish.studio/visualisations/sankey-charts/

yiyang @ 2022-02-26T07:36 (+3)

Possibly! Fingers crossed for that. :)

Declan Dally @ 2022-03-28T18:59 (+2)

I also love this diagram and model for tracking progress. I will see about copying this for my EA group.

Vaidehi Agarwalla @ 2022-02-26T22:19 (+3)

Regarding your next steps, my current hypothesis would be that the highest value items from your list are:

1. Running a retreat: I think retreats just seem like really solid ways to get people excited and connected around a common topic (in this case EA Malaysia), and I've heard of examples where even people who are not actively engaged before hand get way more engaged from participating. A low-energy version of this could be a co-working retreat
  2. Very low cost community building: I think it's very doable to run unstructured socials if you're really strict about spending less than X hours (e.g. meet at a restaurant instead of cooking or ordering food for a house dinner). 

And hopefully 1 & 2 could surface a potential successor, or even just other community members who are willing to run events. 

yiyang @ 2022-02-27T00:44 (+2)

A low-energy version of this could be a co-working retreat

Oh interesting! I see a few examples of this when Googling. If you have a go-to resource for organising this, would love to check it out. 

Vaidehi Agarwalla @ 2022-02-27T01:05 (+3)

I'll DM you a contact (if others reading this are interested feel free to message as well!)

Vaidehi Agarwalla @ 2022-02-26T22:12 (+3)
  • Yi-Yang spent too much time on crafting a new presentation (~30 hours) and developing an onboarding document (~20 hours). We could probably have been leaner and tested our outreach plans more.
  • Tzu was committed to too many projects.
  • We didn’t do enough consistent “low cost” meetups.

I resonate a lot with a lot of these bullets , I think I've done the first and second thing in the past, and definitely feel that consistency of meetups was important in increasing attendance in the EA Philly group when I was running it in 2019 / early 2020.  

I'd love to know what a leaner version of our plans might have looked like and how it differed from what you ended up doing. I also wonder if there were ways you could have noticed that the projects were taking longer than optimal as you were doing them. 

yiyang @ 2022-02-27T00:42 (+4)

Less tailor-made events and more consistent simple meetups (socials, YT watch parties, etc).  

Less tailor-made targeted outreach and more advertising.

Vaidehi Agarwalla @ 2022-02-26T22:09 (+3)

Out of curiosity, what presentation did you spend too long on creating? I imagine it could be valuable for other group organisers. 

(Also, really appreciate how quick and easy to read this report is, I'll split my thoughts over other comments).

yiyang @ 2022-02-27T00:40 (+2)

An animal welfare one! But more heavily modified to an amateur philosophy audience.