A Primer for Insect Sentience and Welfare (as of Sept 2023)

By Meghan Barrett @ 2023-09-26T22:40 (+115)

This post was written by me, Meghan Barrett, in my independent capacity as an academic research scientist and entomologist. None of the organizations with which I'm affiliated should be taken to endorse or support any particular conclusions or resources listed herein based on this post.

Introduction

If you attended my talk at EAG London in May 2023, you may remember this basic narrative: 

Insects might matter morally. There are a lot of them. We can use scientific evidence to make their lives better.

This is the quick case I provide for working on insect welfare. Since that talk, I’ve been encouraged by the amount of interest in the topic among members of the EA community, so many of whom want to learn about insects and their welfare in farmed, wild, and research contexts. The lives and capabilities of our planet’s ~5.5 million species of insects are often surprising and quite poorly understood (even by entomologists!), which can lead us all to make empirically-unsupported assumptions about their sentience, capacity for welfare, and welfare concerns. Although there are many significant unknowns in the science of insect sentience and welfare, it is clear that if we want to help insects, we need to learn what we can about them.

Lots of advocates are doing just that: they’re putting in the work to understand insects’ nervous systems, behavior, and physiology—as well as the scale and contexts of their use and management. I’m heartened to see people take insects seriously. So, as an insect neurobiologist and physiologist by training, I want to do my part to make it easier to learn about these fascinating, diverse, and highly neglected animals.

This post is a quick, non-exhaustive, and lightly-annotated list of resources that can serve as a primer for folks interested in getting up to speed on insect pain, sentience, and welfare as of September 2023. For future readers, it also points toward some places where people can go for the most recent information on insect welfare and sentience. 

I hope this guide is useful for introducing you to the topic – and for demonstrating that there is a lot of rigorous empirical, or otherwise expert, conversation currently happening on the topics of insect sentience and welfare.

Quick caveats

Insect Sentience and Capacity for Welfare

By far the most rigorous and up-to-date work on insect pain/sentience is Gibbons et al. 2022 (Advances in Insect Physiology) which reviews over 350 studies across six orders of insects and two life stages. The paper itself is very long (sections 1 & 2 and 4-6 are most informative to the entomological novice), but you can read a short summary prepared by the majority of the authors on EA Forum here.

Rethink Priorities’ Moral Weight Project has considered insect sentience and capacity for welfare. You can read posts in the series via Bob Fischer (and team)’s work on the forum here (and by reading the forthcoming book, Weighing Animal Welfare, out in 2024). Especially relevant for the insect case are:

Additional Recent Articles of Special Interest:

The History of the Insect Sentience/Pain Discussion:

Beyond the aforementioned Gibbons et al. 2022 review, the following articles are all an important part of the history/debate on insect pain. But readers of this list should be cautioned that not all information contained in these articles is empirically accurate based on the latest scientific evidence. If you’re not familiar with insect neuroscience/behavior/physiology, be cautious trusting any particular conclusion in any of these papers:

Insect Welfare Cause Area and Scope

Nearly all of the information on the cause area and scope of the insect issue has come from Rethink Priorities and/or Abraham Rowe; peer-reviewed research on the scale of insect use has not been conducted.

The General Topic of Insect Welfare:

Species-Specific Farmed Insect Welfare Concerns:

Wild Insect Welfare Concerns:

Resources for Continuing Education

Books for Understanding Insects:

MHR @ 2023-09-26T23:17 (+6)

This is an awesome list! Thanks for putting it together!

SummaryBot @ 2023-09-27T13:21 (+2)

Executive summary: The post provides a primer on insect sentience and welfare, aimed at helping readers get acquainted with the key scientific evidence, history, scale, and open questions regarding insects' capacity for suffering.

Key points:

1. Insects may have moral significance due to their sentience and capacity for welfare, but this field is poorly understood and full of empirically-unsupported assumptions.
  2. A lot of work is being done to understand insect nervous systems, behavior, and physiology to improve their welfare.
  3. The post includes an extensive list of resources for understanding insect pain, sentience, and welfare, including academic papers, forum posts, and books.
  4. The resources are categorized into topics such as insect sentience and capacity for welfare, history of the discussion, insect welfare cause area and scope, species-specific farmed insect welfare concerns, wild insect welfare concerns, and resources for continuing education.
  5. The author notes some biases in the list, including a focus on biological information, a skew towards the author's own work and collaborators, and a lack of regular updates.
  6. The post ends with an invitation to follow the author's lab work on farmed insect welfare and neurobiology starting in January 2024.

This comment was auto-generated by the EA Forum Team. Feel free to point out issues with this summary by replying to the comment, and contact us if you have feedback.

Corentin Biteau @ 2023-09-28T20:15 (+1)

Thanks ! This is useful