Charity Science: Health - A New Direct Poverty Charity Founded on EA Principles

By Marcus_A_Davis @ 2016-08-04T01:08 (+20)

After 6 months of research, primarily based on GiveWell’s list of charities they wish existed, we’re happy to announce the launching of Charity Science: Health. It is a direct poverty charity that will increase vaccination rates in India using phone-based reminders. We think it has the potential in the long term to be competitive with GiveWell recommended charities because it is:

Currently we are:

If you are interested in being a part of the beginning of something that could be big, please contact us at joey@charityscience.com. You can read more about CS: Health in our proposal and on our website.

If you would like to make a donation, thank you! Fortunately, some generous donors have already filled our room for more funding for the following year. Please keep us in mind for next year, and in the meantime, we highly recommend donating to GiveWell recommended charities.

null @ 2016-08-05T17:13 (+2)

I work as a public health doctor. Let me know if I can provide helpful advice or support.

null @ 2016-08-04T20:09 (+1)

Sounds like a pretty good thesis and execution plan!

How are you using the phrase "direct poverty charity"? It's not clear to me that this has direct bearing on poverty, except insofar as a large fraction of the target audience comprises poor people. But it's not poverty-focused per se.

null @ 2016-08-04T21:04 (+5)

My understanding is that "direct" and "poverty" are being used as loose EA terms, with "direct" distinguishing from indirect approaches like fundraising and other meta-work and "poverty" distinguishing from other common EA causes like animal welfare, x-risk, etc.

null @ 2016-08-04T02:05 (+1)

Excited to see the outcome of the extensive research that Charity Science did to determine the shape of this new charity! Will be looking forward to updates, and beat of luck!