Donation Plans for 2017

By Jeff Kaufman @ 2017-12-23T22:25 (+13)

Each year Julia and I need to decide where we're giving. Here's what we've been thinking about this year:

I've also enjoyed reading the posts by GiveWell, Open Phil staff about where they're giving and why.

[1] This does mean borrowing some money. Modeling our cash flow I think we'll have it paid back in March or April. Much of my current compensation is in stock, and I won't start getting that until I'll have been back at Google for a year, which will be this September.

[2] Before I left Google, in January 2017, I wanted to max out their donation match for the year.

[3] That our division favored AMF a bit more than GiveWell's shouldn't be taken as disagreement, and if anything we (especially Julia) lean a bit more towards towards SCI.

[4] Another option for this sort of funding would be EA Grants if it used a rolling process.

null @ 2018-01-08T05:27 (+2)

For more speculative things, we want to put part of the money towards a project that a friend we know through the Effective Altruism movement is starting. In general I think this is a good way for people to get funding for early stage projects, presenting their case to people who know them and have a good sense of how to evaluate their plans.

What is the project (at the finest granularity of detail you are comfortable disclosing)?

null @ 2018-02-12T16:13 (+1)

We didn't end up giving to this, as the project's founder happily got a grant from elsewhere.

The project is a coaching service for EAs that we see as a complement to 80k's work - ongoing sessions aimed at developing professional skills and productivity, rather than a single session aimed at choosing a career path as 80k does. It's currently in beta/word-of-mouth stage, but I expect the founder will do a public writeup at some point.

null @ 2018-02-12T18:12 (+1)

This was a great write-up of your method. I wasn't aware of the Paypal Giving Fund, but I'm so glad you shared.

null @ 2018-01-04T07:22 (+1)

For more speculative things, we want to put part of the money towards a project that a friend we know through the Effective Altruism movement is starting. In general I think this is a good way for people to get funding for early stage projects, presenting their case to people who know them and have a good sense of how to evaluate their plans.

Agreed. Thanks for the work you do supporting things that'd otherwise not happen!