What happens on an 80,000 Hours call?

By Abby Babby @ 2023-09-08T10:26 (+47)

A lot of people aren't sure what to expect when they apply for 80,000 Hours coaching calls. We thought it might be helpful to give you some context.

Who can we help?

Ways you can get value from an 80k call

Before the call

We ask you to fill out a call prep document that prompts you to reflect on how you define positive impact, which areas you want to work on, and which careers seem most appealing or attractive to you. 

Filling out the call prep document has been consistently identified as one of the most valuable parts of advising. In other words, you can gain a lot of clarity on your career just by setting aside an hour to write down your answers to these questions, even without speaking to an advisor!

You can make a copy of our call prep doc and fill it out now if you’d like. (We won’t be able to see your answers, this would be for your personal reflection.)

During the call

For people early in their career, we usually cover these topics:

For people who are already committed to a cause area, we might cover a slightly different set of questions, such as: What is your theory of change?

Areas of special expertise 

Our different advisors have different areas of expertise, and can give very specific advice (e.g. how to have an impact as a medical doctor, or which AI safety org’s research agenda best fits your interests). Right now, these five advisors are taking calls:

To be clear, all of our advisors are equipped to talk with anybody about any career; you should book in with whoever is available when you are. We do not think our primary path to impact is giving extremely specific advice about getting into specific programs (e.g. how to apply for a PhD). Instead, we believe our value comes from higher level advice, like building frameworks for how to make big decisions and helping identify misconceptions that may be holding you back.   

Things that usually don't happen on calls

If in doubt, apply!

Our advisees have a diverse set of backgrounds and perspectives. We love talking to anybody who takes doing good seriously. Hope to speak to you soon :) Apply here: https://80000hours.org/speak-with-us/

Anonymous EA Forum user @ 2023-09-08T17:39 (+15)

I'd like to make a tentative/gentle suggestion: 80k should try to get some career advisors with more career experience. When I was scheduling a call with 80k I was presented with little profiles of who I could choose to have the call with, and all of the career counselors seemed to not have much professional experience. 

I understand EA is different than most parts of the working world, and I also understand that a person can give excellent advice while having only a few years of work experience. Nonetheless, I think there are probably suggestions, viewpoints, and knowledge that generally are only available to people that have had more experience.

Abby Hoskin @ 2023-09-08T20:25 (+14)

I totally agree that more life experience is really valuable. For example, I recently updated my bio to reflect how I'm a mom (of two now, ahhhh!); somebody mentioned they booked in with me because they specifically wanted to chat with a parent, so it's great we have an advisor with that kind of experience on the team. If you have recommendations for experienced people who you think would be good advisors, feel free to shoot me a DM with names!

Adam Binks @ 2023-09-13T15:54 (+5)

Here's the link to apply! https://80000hours.org/speak-with-us/

Abby Hoskin @ 2023-09-13T17:34 (+2)

Hahaha, thanks for posting!! :)

Heramb Podar @ 2023-09-10T15:01 (+4)

This post is so valuable; I remember flinching and trying to "save" my call for multiple months until a friend at an EA fellowship literally told me, " You do know that they give you the stuff to prep with if you are accepted, right?" - I applied the very same night and probably thought about some aspect of my call nearly every other week of my summer intern.

Abby Hoskin @ 2023-09-12T12:43 (+2)

Thank you very much :)

Song Yang @ 2023-11-17T21:22 (+3)

I just got rejected from advising. I was wondering if it is because I am a lost cause or I look like I have no need for it?

I am currently a teacher in higher ed and I don't feel like teaching is working for me.